Cuban Roasted Pork
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 pounds pork shoulder, trimmed and tied
- Heat a small, heavy skillet over medium heat. Add the cumin seeds and peppercorns to the pan; stir constantly until fragrant and beginning to brown, about 2 minutes. Cool.
- Using a mortar and pestle, or blender crush toasted spices with garlic, salt, and oregano to make a paste. You can also do this in the small bowl of a food processor. Transfer to a small bowl, and stir in orange juice, lime juice, lemon juice, sherry, and olive oil.
- Place the pork in a large resealable plastic bag. Pour citrus marinade over meat, and seal. Take long knife poke holes in pork and push about 6 more garlic cloves . Refrigerate for 12 to 24 hours, turning the bag over occasionally.
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C).
- Transfer pork and marinade to a roasting pan, and place in the oven. Roast for about 2 1/2 hours, basting with pan juices occasionally, or until an instant read thermometer inserted in the center reads 145 degrees F (63 degrees C). Add small amounts of water to the pan if it dries out. Transfer the pork to a carving board, cover loosely with foil, and let rest for 15 minutes. Carve, and serve.
1 fresh loaf french bread
When I make this sandwich there is no substitutions THIS is how it is made. Period.
I make 3-4 sandwiches per loaf of bread.
Bread, mustard,dill pickles,big hand full of pulled pork, Swiss cheese, ham, cheese, bread.
Rub bread with all the excess gooey grease on your hands, Now press in sandwich press( I use George Foreman grill) or skillet with heavy pan on top. Toast bread till cheese is melted and hot.
:note: The better the ham the better it is at very least use good fresh deli cut ham.
Take the time roast the pork and make the sandwich.