Saturday, November 6, 2010

Creamed Spinach

Okay so my first post is nothing "new and exciting" or original,  but it is one of my favorites and great tasting.  I am making gumbo for the game Saturday night.  This will be my first original recipe to share so I'm kinda nervous.  We had a nice meal tonight thanks to my dad, Kenny. He made terriaki chicken, rice pilaf, green beans, fresh green salad and of course bread.  Enough about me here is something for you.  Spinach. I know who even thinks about it?  Well try this dish I found in "Gourmet at Home" magazine, it is worth the five dollar cheese.


Boursin Creamed Spinach

Ingredients

2 T unsalted butter
1/2 cup yellow onions, diced
2 T all purpose flour
1 cup whole milk
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 pkg (5.2 oz) boursin cheese
1 pkg 10 oz frozen, chopped spinach, thawed, squeezed dry of excess moisture
2 T Parmesan cheese, grated
1 tsp lemon zest
salt, pepper, cayenne and nutmeg to taste
2/3 cup coarse fresh bread crumbs
1 T olive oil
Preparation
Preheat oven to 425F
saute onions in 1 T butter until soft about 5 min. add the flour and stir to coat onion. Gradually whisk in the milk and heavy cream stirring constantly to prevent lumps. Simmer for 1 minute.. Stir in Boursin cheese a little at a time until melted and smooth. Remove saucepan from heat. Add spinach, Parmesan, lemon zest, and seasonings. Transfer spinach to prepared baking dish.

Combine crumbs, 1 T butter, oil and salt and pepper. Top spinach with crumbs, packing down to adhere.

cook 20 to 25 minutes until crumbs are golden and sauce is bubbly

I am not a typical Popeye type spinach guy but this is GOOD.
The cheese is expensive and hard to find. Try the deli at Homeland or Buy for Less. Sam's carries a different
brand but still a garlic and herb soft cheese.  It is simple and easy to make your own fresh bread crumbs so don't scimp if you have come this far.
Enjoy.
Marcus 

No comments:

Post a Comment