Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Gumbo

Gumbo,  well today kinda more like chicken and sausage stew.  We had a friend who will not eat any type of seafood so, no shrimp.  I got busy and cocky and didn't actually read and follow my recipe, after all, this is my recipe. I got this, so no okra in the pot, I forgot.  This is actually a good lesson for us all.  Read and follow directions!  Consistency is by one definition,- harmony of conduct or practice with profession and another -degree of firmness, density, viscosity, or resistance to movement or separation of constituent particles.
  1. Be consistent, follow your recipe every time don't be cocky.
  2. Take the time to get your proper consistency with this dish.
 I like to cook breakfast the morning I am going to make gumbo and use my bacon pan and grease to make my roux.  Roux made easy: fat, flour, a little salt and pepper and stir,stir and stir some more seriously keep stirring. Don't let it burn. It will take 10 to 15 min to get the good color. 
Gumbo, I have read and tried alot of recipes and am happy with my version.  I fed 7 people without shrimp or okra so you can probably feed 8 easily.  I make my stock the night before so I can skim the fat off the top  after it cools.  The rest still takes all day to prepare but it really is worth it. Give me some feedback if you try this dish.
Good luck and good eating.
Marcus

Roux
1 1/4 cup flour
1 cup oil (1/2 cup oil & 1/2 cup bacon fat)
cook till peanut color

Ingredients
1 cut up chicken or 6 or 7 chicken quarters (brown in skillet)
1 lb andouille or smoked sausage ( cut in chunks browned in skillet)
1 lb medium prepared shrimp ( you can use fresh but save shell and heads for stock)
1 bag frozen okra, if you don't like okra use 2 tsp. file' powder
2 onions chopped (save the skin & end pieces)
2 bell peppers (chopped)
6 pieces of celery stalks (chopped & save the top pieces)
3 cloves of garlic (chopped & save the skin)
2 bay leaves
parsley (chopped)
salt/pepper & cayenne pepper (don't add until later)

Spice Pack (put in a coffee filter tie with string)
1 tsp black pepper corns (whole)
parsley stems
2 bay leafs
1/2 tsp dried thyme
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp dried basil leaves

Directions:
Take chicken and put in stock pot with water covering the chicken (should be at least 4-6 cups)
Add celery tops, onion scraps, garlic skins, shrimp parts and spice pack.
Bring to a boil then reduce until chicken is done. (the longer the better 2-4 hours)
Strain and save stock. Discard spice pack and other "stuff".
Add roux, chicken, sausage and the stock in pot to desired consistency. 
Add the rest of the ingredients and slowly bring up to temp.
Add okra and let simmer until you are ready to eat.

Serve over rice. Just a good, long grain rice, but nothing fancy.

No comments:

Post a Comment